Sunday, July 3, 2011

Why You Be So Sassi?


…huh?

I’ll explain.

Yes I’m keeping my promise to you, this post is about my favorite field trip.

And no, I did not mispell sassi.

Sassi is Italian for rocks.

Matera, the location of my previously mentioned favorite field trip, is a small town near the southern coast of Italy that is totally and completely carved out of the rock – literally ancient dwellings scooped out of the cliffs like ice cream – its extraordinary. 









Matera is clearly built on a range of very steep hills, resulting in these twisty little paths and staircases throughout the town; all the little nooks and tunnels give it a mysterious, secret garden feeling. I felt like I was walking through a fairy tale. 








another thing I loved about Matera is that the city is so bleached by the sun, almost everything is white. But many citizens have added simple pops of color to their homes, whether in the form of painted doors or bright flowers. 








While we were there, my class visited a small shop where they modeled and painted little clay figures




 I didn't think I could love Matera anymore... 

Until we went to the MUSMA.

MUS-huh?

MUSMA. 

A contemporary sculpture museum in the heart of one of the most antiquated towns in Italy - the juxtaposition is breathtaking. 





Other pretty things I stumbled upon...

 sweet outdoor furniture

cool detailing

mosaic cross from yet another modern art exhibit in an ancient chapel.. uhh this place is awesome

intricate iron work

cacti! reminded me of home

love this doorbell


No comments:

Post a Comment