Sunday, June 19, 2011

St. Peter's Basilica

Hold the phone - a cultural post? yes, friends and family (Dad pay attention!), despite the occasional window shopping at Prada or cannoli eating in Trastevere, I am, in fact, learning stuff. 

This past week, I took the afternoon to go spend some quality time at the Vatican, specifically St. Peter's. Although my third time inside the church, it never fails to inspire me. 

The building is truly amazing - I always forget how enormous it is. I feel so tiny, staring up at the ceiling - it fascinates me that it was built centuries ago.

I went around 4pm and the light was perfect for taking pictures. Here are a pretty photos I snapped - enjoy!

the gilded ceiling

massive stone pillars - again, think about when this was built - ah maz ing

do you believe my earlier statement that the light was perfect now? 

beautiful painted/gilded ceiling

hello there, un-photo-shopped beam of light. 

marble statue - I love the way she's reaching out to something

gigantic rose-hued marble columns

another marble statue - this one is interesting because of the iron cross one of the figures is holding

one of the intricate columns of Bernini's Baldacchino

golden candle votives

nun's holding hands - che carina!

No comments:

Post a Comment