Saturday, June 18, 2011

La Mia Scuola

Whats up whats up people? Ive been meaning to do this particualr post for a while and heree it is! This post is dedicated to the building in which I attend class everyday. For those of you wondering what Im learning about (other than the invaluable life experiences that come with living abroad), I am studying Italian theater, i.e. Pirandello, Machiavelli, Umberto Eco, etc. Interesting stuff. look it up. 
Anyways, I go to school in a palace. 


Not a joke. 


no really, I mean it. 


I literally walk up to a centuries old baroque palace, go in through the door of the palace, walk up the stairs of the palace, and attend class in. the. palace. capisci? 


Unfortunately there is no matching prince that comes with the palace. 


As there is no longer much need for palaces, this one has been converted into a library. It is so beautiful and picturesque, I cant even think of how to begin to describe it. so I just took a bunch of pictures!


time-worn marble floors

my favorite place to study 

stone door frames

 little statues like this litter the place - like, "Oh there's just another beautiful, priceless artifact on the floor. Oh, there's another..."

no this is not the Uffizi. this is the ceiling in our classroom. 

I love this shot! thats Matteo teaching 612 in the background. 

view from the terrace on the 2nd story into the courtyard.

the gate to enter the building; although a historical site, its closed to the public. I have to ring the doorbell and say a secret password to get in. Whats the password, you ask? its the fish flies at night. i can tell yall because there is a rather large ocean and rather expensive plane ticket keeping you from abusing this knowledge. also, if anyone got that super obscure reference to one of my favorite television shows, you will win my eternal love. tempting, I know.

the wall of my school - those busts are about 5 feet tall!

ceiling in the stairwell

the door leading out to the street

another shot of the wall - the window in the upper left corner with the open shutters is my classroom!

view of the 2nd story terrace from the courtyard. 

1 comment:

  1. your school is gorgeous!!! I miss you!! COME VISIT ME!!

    ps. my dad and I (yes, my dad...) used to watch gilmore girls every day after school at 4pm. :) love you too! (eternally!)

    ReplyDelete